Tuesday 6 January 2009

A week to forget

Even by Onion standards this one's incredible:

http://www.theonion.com/content/video/apple_introduces_revolutionary

My highlight is the predictive text options - awesome.

On a more sombre note this has been the worst start to a new year I can remember. I'm sure you all saw the story of the 30-year-old woman killed at a crossing yesterday when her car was hit by a train. There are all sorts of things I could tell you but won't. However I can tell you this - my fiancee worked with the lady who was killed, and I met her several times. She was a very nice person - friendly and chatty, always calling everyone "mate" in typical Lincolnshire style.

On Saturday Emma and I went into Spalding to book our holiday. About three months ago we took out a loan to clear debts. Whatever would be left over would be put towards a fantastic holiday. Our choice was Borneo - a dream destination of tropics, Orang-Utans and jungle adventures.

The price was not small so we decided to take the rest of the weekend to consider it. And if any one incident could make us think that we should grasp life and take every opportunity we can. So we booked the holiday.

Just thinking of the chain of events that led to the accident fills me with dread. If we can believe the precise timings, if she had stalled her car on the way she would have survived. If she had taken a different route. If she had dropped her handbag on the way to the car. Much virtue in If...

With the Bakkavor news it's been an incredible, horrendous week.

Take care

No comments: